Agency Information Collection Activities: Submission for the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Review; Comment Request
The NRC has recently submitted to OMB for review the following proposal for the collection of information under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. chapter 35). The NRC hereby informs potential respondents that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and that a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.
1. Type of submission, new, revision, or extension: Revision.
2. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR part 21, “Reporting of Defects and Noncompliance”.
3. The form number if applicable: Not applicable.
4. How often the collection is required: On occasion.
5. Who will be required or asked to report: All directors and responsible officers of firms and organizations building, operating, or owning NRC licensed facilities as well as directors and responsible officers of firms and organizations supplying basic components and safety related design, analysis, testing, inspection, and consulting services of NRC licensed facilities or activities.
6. An estimate of the number of responses: 170.
7. The estimated number of annual respondents: 70 respondents.
8. An estimate of the total number of hours needed annually to complete therequirement or request: 12,565 (9,640 reporting hours and 2,925 recordkeeping hours).
9. An indication of whether Section 3507(d), Pub. L. 104-13 applies: Not applicable.
10. Abstract: 10 CFR Part 21 Implements Section 206 of the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, as amended. It requires directors and responsible officers of firms and organizations building, operating, owning, or supplying basic components to NRC licensed facilities or activities to report defects and noncompliance that could create a substantial safety hazard at NRC licensed facilities or activities. Organizations subject to 10 CFR Part 21 are also required to maintain such records as may be required to assure compliance with this regulation.
A copy of the final supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Room O-1 F23, Rockville, MD 20852. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide web site: http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/PUBLIC/OMB/index.html. The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions should be directed to the OMB reviewer listed below by August 23, 2001. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given to comments received after this date.
Bryon Allen,Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (3150-0035),NEOB-10202,Office of Management and Budget,Washington, DC 20503
Comments can also be submitted by telephone at (202) 395-3087.
The NRC Clearance Officer is Brenda Jo. Shelton, 301-415-7233.Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 18th day of July 2001.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.Brenda Jo. Shelton, NRC Clearance Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer.