Natural Gas Interchangeability; Agenda for February 18, 2004, Public Conference
Table of Contents
- 9:30 a.m.Opening Remarks, Conference Guidelines
- 9:45-10:15Natural Gas Council Presentation
- 10:15-11:45Panel I: Technical Perspectives on Gas Interchangeability and Quality: “Gas Quality and Interchangeability 101”
- 11:45-1:15Panel II: Addressing Gas Interchangeability and Quality Concerns
- 1:15-2:15Break for Lunch
- 2:15-3:45Panel III: Next steps * * *
- 3:45-4:45“Open Mike” Opportunity
- 4:45-5:00Closing Remarks
1. On January 15, the Commission issued a notice announcing its intention to conduct a public conference on natural gas interchangeability and gas quality issues. The notice indicated that the Public Conference would be held on February 18, 2004, and that the Commission would issue a conference agenda at a future time. Accordingly, the following is the agenda as it now stands:
9:30 a.m.Opening Remarks, Conference Guidelines ↑
Focus: Legal context for Commission action, to date and going forward; technical background underlying the need for the conference;ex parte considerations, and what may not be discussed; and, procedures for “open mike” discussion.
9:45-10:15Natural Gas Council Presentation ↑
Focus: Status of gas industry efforts to develop a statement of principles on the issue of natural gas quality standards.
10:15-11:45Panel I: Technical Perspectives on Gas Interchangeability and Quality: “Gas Quality and Interchangeability 101” ↑
Focus: Technical and scientific background: Reliability; equipment; pipeline tariff and contract conditions; gas processing; LNG distinctives; and, geographic variations in gas quality.
• Jeryl L. Mohn, Sr. Vice President, Operations and Engineering, Panhandle Energy;
• David Rue, Manager, Industrial Combustion Processes, Gas Technology Institute;
• Lori Traweek, Senior Vice President, Operations and Engineering Management, American Gas Association;
• Bob Dimitroff, Topsides Design Manager, Regasification Projects, International Gas, ChevronTexaco Overseas Petroleum;
• Joel D. Moxley, Vice President, Processing and NGL Group, El Paso Field Services.
11:45-1:15Panel II: Addressing Gas Interchangeability and Quality Concerns ↑
Focus: Standardization efforts (historical and current); tariff differences; economic incentives; new electric generation needs; cost shifting and cost causation.
• Randy Barnard, V.P. of Operations and Gas Control, Williams Gas Pipelines;
• Adrian P. Chapman, Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and Energy Acquisition, Washington Gas Light Company;
• Keith C. Wilson, PE, Ammonia Technology Manager, PCS Nitrogen Fertilizer, LP;
• W. Collin Harper, Senior Vice President, Fuels, Tractebel North America;
• Richard Brent, Director of Government Affairs, Solar Turbines Incorporated;
• Keith Barnett, Vice President, Fundamental Analysis, American Electric Power;
• Robert Wilson, Director, Environmental Engineering and Operations, KeySpan;
• Alfred Fatica, Director NGL Assets, BP America Inc.
1:15-2:15Break for Lunch ↑
2:15-3:45Panel III: Next steps * * * ↑
Focus: What are the possible approaches the Commission, the North American Energy Standards Board, other standards-setting organizations, the industry, and commercial partners might take on natural gas interchangeability and natural gas quality? Is there a need for nation-wide standards, and if there is a need, which organizations need to take responsibility to craft such standards?
• Rae McQuade, Executive Director, North American Energy Standards Board (NAESB);
• Douglas A. Moser, Vice President, Gas Management, Philadelphia Gas Works;
• Lee Stewart, Senior Vice President, Gas Transmission, Southern California Gas;
• Terry D. Boss, Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs—Safety and Environment, Interstate Natural Gas Association of America;
• John Hritcko, Jr., Vice President Strategy and Development, Shell U.S. Gas and Power;
• William (“Bill”) G. Cope, Vice President, Southern LNG Inc.
• James R. Newman, Senior Engineering Designer, Rheem Air Conditioning Division.
3:45-4:45“Open Mike” Opportunity ↑
4:45-5:00Closing Remarks ↑
The foregoing agenda may be subject to change.Magalie R. Salas, Secretary.